Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Springcleaning - Week 1 - Tuesday

I was not exactly full of energy this morning. We had a very heavy thunderstorm and a tornado warning at 2:30 am and we were up and dressed and sitting in the middle of the house hoping nothing would happen. My smart cats all joined us in the only room without windows, they must have heard the warning on the weather radio. This also reminded us that we have to get two more cat carriers, just in case. After half an hour it was all over, the heavy rains left a lot of debris behind and if we get a storm like that in one or two months we can kiss our garden good bye. It also looked like part of the neighborhood was without power this morning. Our power line comes in from another direction and we were okay. The porch was a bit flooded but I hope that will dry out soon.

When I looked out the kitchen window this morning I saw a big fat possum waddle across the neighbor's lawn. I have never seen one in daylight, they are such interesting creatures. We had a baby one eating cat food at our front door last year. By the time I got my camera it was already heading back into the bushes by the creek.

My spring cleaning part for today was cleaning the area around the back door (our main entry way) and the stove. I washed the door and the door frame, the blind and the glass in the door, the floor and the wall around the area where we keep a small bin to collect the recycling and the picture rail. Then I deep cleaned the stove. I admit to using a commercial cleaner for the oven. It was a little beyond what water and baking soda could handle, due to countless meatballs having been cooked recently. And it is not easy to get the baking soda to stay on the walls. It worked like a doozy and my oven looks as good as new. What I wonder is who had the idea to cover kitchen appliances with a kind of fake leather plastic stuff? Apparently someone who does not do a lot of cleaning. It is not smooth and therefore good at keeping grime in its little wrinkles, scrub, scrub, scrub. But now all is done and I can move on to the fun part of the day. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a possum around here a couple of years ago....quite interesting looking creatures..all smiley. Glad to hear you are all okay. You get some bad weather out your way.

Gail said...

So glad you are all safe. You have more energy then I do, still fighting with this dang cold, oh well this too shall pass. God bless you all, and praise His Name for keeping you all safe.
Hugs
Gail

Tracey ~ Clover said...

The storms were something weren't they? We kept our power too, but so many didn't. I have been doing some spring cleaning, but I really want to be outside!