Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

Edit in reply to comments: I used margarine since I keep neither lard nor shortening around.

Why did I not try this sooner? I used a recipe I found online that seemed easy enough and it was. I halved the recipe and got 8 good sized tortillas. They are not exactly round but so much better than the store bought ones. There flavor is so neutral it does not interfere with whatever you put into them and their texture is great too. They do not get brittle and don't get holes when you roll them. And they really are not that much work at all. One more thing to remove from my shopping list forever. ;-)


5 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Hooray! They look great and I bet tasted even better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,

They look really good and just like the store ones.
Did you use lard in the recipe? Do you think you could use whole wheat flour?

Coleen

Monika said...

Did you use lard as in the recipe? I don't think I even know where to buy lard nowadays.

Anonymous said...

They look great!

Tracey ~ Clover said...

You can buy lard where ever they sell oil and shortening.