Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Experimenting

This morning I pulled 5 of my beets to see how big they are. They looked nice so I decided to play with my food and make some beet kvass. I had read a lot about it on several blogs recently and it does sound good (if you like beets as I do). Then there was that big bunch of beet greens, they look too good to throw away and they are edible. I have been playing around with an idea for a while now, why not make kim chee with something other than chinese cabbage which is horribly expensive in the store (I plan on growing some myself, but the planting has to wait till Fall). So with not much to lose I decided to start a batch of kim chee with my beet greens. I will let you know how it turned out.



I also have a sourdough starter going, which, I confess, is the third try this month. The first two stopped any activity on the second day and smelled like rotten vinegar rather than having a nice beery smell as the instructions say. I hope this one will survive, it is rather warm in the house now, that should help.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I never would have thought about using beet greens in kim chi...great idea! My beets are done so will have to wait until next year to try.
Good luck with the sour dough. I alway kill mine so that is one bread I don't make. Probably a good think or I would eat all of it!

Swanski said...

Good luck on the starter! I was always given a starter to feed so I have never made it from scratch.