Sunday, August 24, 2008

Weekend

We had quite a "hot" weekend, literally. Our AC decided to die Thursday night. It is not completely dead but the thermostat is stuck at 80° F and it does go up but not down and the air that comes out of the vent is not as cold as usual, also it does not turn itself off (I suppose because of the stuck thermostat). While it is barely bearable during the day - we can get a bit of a breeze going with open windows in the morning, before it gets too hot - it gets nasty at night. I hope the repair man will call early tomorrow and get it fixed soon. We were lucky that this happened before our homeowners warranty expires (we can't afford to renew it at the moment).

On Saturday we ran some errands, one of them included a second trip to Walmart (did our shopping Friday night) to pick up Del's prescriptions which were not ready on Friday. On the way back we decided to check out the Salvation Army's thrift store and I discovered that they sell upholstery fabric remnants still on the roll at 99 cents per roll regardless of how much fabric is left on it. I think I will have to go back there once I come up with a plan on how to use it. I remember seeing something in a magazine once where a lady made adorable looking bags out of that kind of fabric. I'd like to try that too.

I found some pink poodle yarn at the dollar store which will make a cute scarf - once it cools down a bit. The yarn contains mainly wool and does not slip easily through the fingers, so knitting with it in this heat is not really an option, but I love the colors.

I finished the pillow cover on Friday and the last of the items for Christmas at Sea yesterday.

This morning - before breakfast - I baked a batch of brownies. ;) I found the recipe in the latest issue of Cooking Light and although I had to change the recipe a little because I had no butter and no cherry preserve (I used margarine and raspberry preserve instead) they turned out well and are really yummy. Very chocolaty, perfect for that chocolate fix. :)

Church was all about the children today, Back to School Sunday. It was quite cute and we have a lot of children of all ages.

After a quick lunch of smoked sausage, corn on the cob, homemade bread and iced coffee and brownies for dessert I cast on a new hat and watched The Lord of the Rings on TV, quietly "dewing" away. ;)

I leave you with a view from my pantry window. Isn't that a lovely country lane? Hard to believe that we actually live in the city. :) The plant is a big bush, what kind I don't know, any suggestions?

I have a lot of sewing planned for the coming week, the weather forecast says rain, rain and more rain and I sure hope they are right. We really need it.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

No comments: