Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Random Thoughts

I believe that life is all about making choices. And when we chose to keep the kittens we also chose to make a lot of changes in our life and around the house. One of them is no Christmas decorations. Last year I could decorate the mantle but in the meantime Miss Precious has discovered how to get up there and so this year my mantle is bare. We did not have a tree last year because the kittens were quarantined in the living room and this year it would be way too much temptation for the whole gang and I can live without it. We actually donated our big tree and most of the decorations and lights to the thrift store.

It seems like every year these things become less and less important to me and I was asking myself if they are really necessary at all. Yes, it looks nice to have the house decked out in holiday finery but necessary it is not. I am okay with that and I came to realize that I did a lot of things just because they are something 'one' does for the holidays, like baking tons of cookies and cooking big meals. And I remember with horror all the stress that came with that. I have gradually cut out everything that caused me stress and our celebrations became more simple over the past 10 or so years. This year with money being not so abundant due to some unexpected expenses we will keep it very simple and we will enjoy it just as much.

So, everybody, do what you like best and whatever it is you are celebrating this time of year, enjoy, have fun, eat, drink and be merry!

Here are a few pictures of my favorite decorations around the house. ;-)

No comments: