Friday, June 04, 2010

Garden Things

My garden is not growing as well as in previous years. It is probably a combination of cheap seeds, lots and lots of rain and the fact that we are a bit pre-occupied with other stuff that is going on in our lives and don't take care of it as we should. Grass, weeds and bugs flourish, the veggie plants not much so. The zucchinis have finally decided to get going, the cucumbers have died, all but one and the radishes are going into bloom without forming anything edible. The strawberries on the other hand are taking over the world and I have to come up with something to keep them from swallowing up the raspberry plant. The peas are starting to form pods and the beans have reached the clothesline and are now starting to bloom. The tomatoes seem to be the only ones that are doing well, they did not come from the cheap seeds. The weather is hot and muggy and I think all the humidity has encouraged the development of ticks in the area, I found several on the cats, one had not yet bitten the other one was full and had fallen off. Gross!! I love country living, too bad we actually live in the city. :)

I fought with the bumble bees this morning to get some lavender for drying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
My garden isn't looking to good right now either. I got a late start so that didn't help and right now I have more weeds then anything. I put my lettuce in pots, like I always do, but I really didn't get enough to even make a salad.
Thank you so much for the book mark! It will be put to use right away, I seem to read about one book a week. That was very kind of you to think of me.
Love, Coleen
I'll send an email soon.