Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Day in My Life - May 14, 2008

Time flies whether you are having fun or not. Another month has gone by and once again it is time for Jenny's "A Day in My Life".

When the alarm woke me at 6 am today I felt like I could use a couple more hours of sleep. We watched a hockey game last night (playoff game no. 3 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers, my Pens won 4:1 :-) ) and hockey always wears me out. ;-)

Half of our house has been without electricity since yesterday morning and I am waiting for the electrician to come around 9 am. In the meantime Mr. Coffee was sitting on top of the stove, happily gurgling away.

I saw a new cat at the food bowl but it was a shy one and did not want its picture taken. Pretty thing it was though, big, dark brown tabby with white, and huge yellow eyes.

I made breakfast and packed Del's lunch. After breakfast I slapped a Bengay patch on my left hip (must have slept in the same position too long last night) and when Del left I put a load of laundry in the washer. The weather forecast called for showers in the evening but it looks like they might start earlier, well, sometimes you just have to take your chances. I am getting way behind on laundry with all the rain we had recently. At least my allergy symptoms seem to have lessened since yesterday.

I put the dishes away that I washed last night, set up for making ginger ale later, let the cat out into the enclosed porch and tidied up the living room and bed room.

Checked my emails, answered some, read my favorite blogs, downloaded the photos of the day from Webshots for my background. Checked what's new in Austria and in the world.

8:30 am I just came in from hanging the first load of laundry. It is cool and overcast but the sun is bravely trying to peek through the clouds. My husband whacked some weeds last night and now the legs of my pants are covered in clippings. The vegetables that we planted as seeds are coming up nicely and the new plants I transferred into the garden yesterday look good too. The little Carolina Wrens are especially lively this morning. I am always amazed at how big a voice these little birds have. They get extremely noisy when there is a cat in the garden. :-) One of the bigger cats has recently gone after the little tortoise shell one that has become a little more trusting and even allows me to pet her, and I sprayed her with water. Looks like she remembers, you should have seen the look she gave me. ;-) Our neighbors have added a fourth dog to their pack and it sounds like she does not get along very well with the others. They are constantly yelping and barking. I very much prefer hearing the birds in the garden to that. My second load of laundry is in the washer. Laundry today is mainly towels, tea towels and dishcloths. If it rains I just leave them out there, they will get dry eventually sometime.

I made a batch of ginger ale from a ginger beer plant I have been feeding for the last 7 days.

The electrician called and said he would be a bit late. He came shortly before 10 am and was finished by 10:30. Miss K. was not happy about his visit at all, not enough that a stranger invaded "her" house, he also used the dreaded vacuum-cleaner-monster. We had some sweet ants in one of the sockets and they had built up some stuff which might have caused the problem. All sockets are working again. I watched the young man for a while but had to leave the room when I caught myself wanting to ask him if those were boxer-briefs. ;-) Can't these guys fasten their belts better? :-)

I baked 2 dozens lemon-coconut cupcakes, cooked pasta (giant elbow macaroni, I am so happy I found those at our grocery store, I like them much better than the small smooth ones) and took some chicken out of the freezer for dinner (cold chicken and pasta salad), made instant butterscotch pudding for tonight's dessert (steamed apples with pudding) and raspberry iced tea.

When I looked out the front window I saw two guys ripping leaves off one of the bushes in our front yard. I motioned to them to find out what is going on and one of them said something about that plant being good for backaches. Maybe I should have gotten their recipe for whatever it is they are doing with the leaves. The bush is rather ugly and Del wanted to get rid of it. There is also a nest of fire ants close by it (which will probably save it, who wants to mess with those little pests?).

Made the salad for dinner and gathered my - thankfully - dry laundry.

By 2 pm I was ready to take a break, so I watched two episodes of "Crossing Jordan" (one of my favorite TV series) while trying out a new dishcloth pattern and finishing up some things I have knitted recently.

This is the new dishcloth pattern, it is very easy but it uses a lot of yarn. I am not sure whether I like it or not. Miss K. is still disturbed over this morning's invasion.

I washed the dishes and wiped down the kitchen counter and put some cat food out for our afternoon/evening guests. The weather seems to be changing, it is very windy and very cloudy now.

In about an hour Del will come home and we will probably work in the garden a bit after dinner.

1 comment:

Still at Home said...

You have such a beautifully ordered washing line! It is was nice to read about your day.