Sunday, December 02, 2007

Pizza

One of my all-time favorite foods, both to cook and to eat is Pizza. I make a basic pizza dough from

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 package dry yeast (rapid rise when you are pressed for time)
salt
enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl, add water gradually while kneading with electric mixer (using kneading hooks) until a soft dough ball forms. Cover with dish cloth and let rise for 2 - 3 hours. If using rapid rise yeast less time is needed. The longer it rises the thicker and fluffier the crust becomes.
Sometimes I just make a batch of dough, sprinkle it with coarse salt and/or grated parmesan cheese and serve it as bread to a salad.

I like to try different toppings. My basic topping to work from is:

tomato sauce (canned, low sodium preferred)
garlic powder
dried oregano
shredded mozzarella cheese (as much or as little as you like)

additional toppings:

Pepperoni and Green Pepper


Canadian Bacon, Corn, Cherry Tomatoes and Banana Peppers



And one with both (I like to make that one for guests)

For my Roasted Veggies and Feta Pizza


I did not use mozzarella as basis. Just sliced, oven roasted egg plant and zucchini, fresh onion and tomato slices and plenty of feta cheese on top.

No comments: