Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Apple Loaf Cake

I have bookmarked several blogs that provide me with inspiration for cooking, crafting and finding beauty in the simple things of our daily lives. Homespun Living is definitely one of them. I used some of the tasty tiny apples we bought at the farmer's market


and Deb's recipe for Apple Loaf Cake and I love the result.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

3 teaspooons baking powder

1/2 cup butter, cut up

1/2 pound cooking apples, peeled, cored, & finely chopped (1 1/4 cups)

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

  • Butter and flour a 8.5 x 4.5 x 3.75 -inch loaf pan; butter & flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Sift flour, sugar & baking powder into large bowl. With pastry blender or knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine meal. (I like to use my food processor ~ just pulse, don't overdo). Toss chopped apple in flour mixture. Set aside.
  • In small bowl, whisk together egg & milk until blended. Stir into apple mixture until mixed. (Batter will be stiff.) Spread batter evenly in dish.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Remove from dish. Cool on rack. Yield: 12 servings

I also love the fact that I did not have to use any of my electrical gizmos to mix the batter. ;)

No comments: