Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yarn + other stuff

Last night I discovered that the pretty candy colored yarn I am using comes in different thickness, which must have been an error when they spun it. Apparently I had two skeins that were thinner, shinier and also the colors were stronger. The difference in color would not be such a problem, but the squares are a lot smaller than the other ones which would make the whole afghan a bit distorted. I hope I'll be able to get enough yarn of both kinds to make two blankets. I wanted to go get it today but it is so hot, I don't really want to go out. Maybe later today.
On a more positive note, my weightloss program is still going well. I am trying to put to work what I learned and I am not tracking what I eat this week. If I still manage to lose weight, I am doing it right. :) I have increased my exercise time and I am doing good with that too.
And Del's blood pressure medicine is finally doing what it is supposed to do. I am sure that the fact that he lost a lot more weight than me (almost 25 pounds!) has a lot to do with it as well.
Last Sunday we went for a walk along the Bicentennial Greenway, this time in Gibson Park. Although the path is paved it is not flat and straight, there are lots of ups and downs in it and it winds along two areas that are wet, swamplike, and we could hear the bullfrogs tuning up for their evening concert. I had never heard them before and it sure is a strange noise. Kinda like a rubber band being strung over a box and then plucked like a guitar string. There was also a colony of birds in a stand of trees but I could not see what kind they were, I just heard them, they made a sound like some machinery and I was wondering what is going on in the woods.
We have not been to church for a long time, the high gas prices are not encouraging long trips at the moment.
Still no news on the job and Green Card front. Del has had more interviews and still has more to come. And the last time I called about my card I was told it is being processed. That makes it two months now that it is has been processed. Oh well, it is too hot to learn how to drive anyway and who needs a job? I am supposed to support myself and at the same time the powers that be don't let me work, how does that go together? The whole thing is rather painful in the light of all the negative talk about illegal immigrants recently, all the benefits they can get, good for them, I am a legal immigrant and I can't get anything, not even a driver's license. I always thought Austria had invented bureaucracy, but the people in the immigration offices have made it an artform for sure.
We are exercising patience, it builds character, question is, will anybody like the kind of character this is going to build?

No comments: