Thursday, August 02, 2012

Books - Did I like them?

Well, I must admit that I did not care much for "Lark Rise to Candleford", all the class distinction and the lording it over the poor people and them being expected to enjoy their station in life got to me eventually and I gave it up before the end of the third part. Just not my cup of tea.

I did not like the end of "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". It is hard to imagine a guy haunting a woman for 50 years without ever making his presence known to her just because he saw her holding a baby. Come on, not even back then would a man have reacted that way. What a wuss! She was probably better off without him anyway. Other than that I liked most of the book.

I really enjoyed "What Did You Do In the War Mommy?", I have always been a big fan of oral history. The books about the Donner Party were written by survivors who were both children at the time of the tragedy and wrote the books later from memory and with the help of what other people could remember about it. And "Blood Sisters" is an interesting book about women in the French Revolution.

None of the books were re-read. They have been sitting on my shelves unread, a remnant of my days as a book hoarder (inherited from my father) and there are still more. I had read "The Name of the Rose" before in German, but had not remembered how boring and difficult some parts of it are to read, but maybe I just was not in the right mood or it was too hot. ;-)

I usually go to the library or buy used books these days and whenever I read one of my books and feel that it does not need to be sitting on my shelves afterwards I donate it to the library. What they don't use will go into the library's used book sale.

I am currently reading through some books that are actually meant for young readers and I really like them. I was thinking about donating them but maybe I will keep them after all. :-)

2 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Lark Rise to Candleford is also a BBC tv series and I've heard it's pretty good. !

Anonymous said...

Thanks Maria for the reviews.
Have a great weekend!

Coleen